geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:12:58 GMT
On Feb 23, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:
>> The protocol layer in OpenEJB uses the canonical string version all
>> over the place.  We avoided ObjectName on the wire as String is
>> capable of representing an ObjectName and serializes faster and with
>> less bytes as there is special logic in
>> java.io.ObjectOutput/InputStream that basically treats them like
>> primitives.
>
> I take it you have some form of custom serialization code that
> converts ObjectName to String and back again. GBeanName is
> Serializable (and the serialized form is just a String) so it should
> continue to work right now until you can add custom serialization just
> as for ObjectName.

OpenEJB sends the string to the client and sometimes gets a string back
(ejbs are indexed by number for speed).  When a string comes back it is
looked up directly into a hash, keyed on the string.  The means that
OpenEJB clients do not see any Geronimo code.  If GBeanNames were used,
then the client would need a GBeanName class.

-dain