geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: A couple of modest proposals
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:09:28 GMT
	I think one of the problems is that dependencies go both ways.
Changes to Jetty may require (or be required by) changes to the Jetty
configuration and deployment code in Geronimo.  But OpenEJB deployment
code is in OpenEJB and depends heavily on Geronimo, not to mention the
OpenEJB assembly process.  I think we'd have to sort out what type of code
should go where in order to make easy and consistent non-uberbuilds
possible.

	And the more I think about it, the more I think we'd want to push
as much as possible out to the projects.  Provide stable GBean features
and interfaces in Geronimo, and put the Geronimo Jetty deployer in Jetty,
so the Geronimo libs can be relatively stable and all the changes to get
Jetty working would be made on the Jetty side (and only on the Jetty
side).

	Still, if we did that and depended on only pre-packaged Jetty
builds, it would be quite hard to get a Geronimo build of the latest and
greatest.  So I guess to my mind, easy builds are opposed to cutting-edge
Geronimo assemblies.  Personally, I wouldn't mind easier and more stable
builds, but I suspect everyone who's actively TCK testing would freak.

Aaron