geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: GBeans and Configurable Properties.
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:05:23 GMT
some related questions...

Currently the XML plans are not placed in the
geronimo-assembly-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar, they are placed in
geronimo\modules\assembly\target\plan, which would only be available to
those who build from the source code.

Q1. Should we be relocating the plans so they are shipped as part of the
geronimo-assembly-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar so that users of a binary release can
modify things such as port numbers?  This would be important if the
default port is already in use.

Q2. Are there any plans to be able to convert serialized configurations
(in the config-store) back into XML plans so:

  * one can see what their current system current configuration is,
without having to navigate lots of screens in a management console and use
text/XML tools to compare with earlier versions of plans or plans being
used on another system (e.g. compare the differences between their test
and production environments).  Change/Configuration management staff at
large organisations would probably like this ability.

 * enable easier support of Geronimo or applications running on Geronimo,
as users can send an XML plan to support staff that is easily readable.

  * users could export plans to XML, modify them and then use them on
another system

Thanks,

John