geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject deployment (oh, how I hate to go here...)
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:34:46 GMT
I'm missing some important clue about deployment.

It seems I can "deploy" to a running server and "distribute" to a
non-running server. I understand the technical difference, but I don't
grok why we need this difference, and more importantly, why I can't
"undistribute" in the event of a mistake...

I'd hate to distribute the ImmediatelyScramNuclearReactorGBean and have
to start the server to remove it.

I was perusing JSR88, and it seems to indicate that distribute, start,
stop, undeploy and redeploy are the "verbs", all applying to a running
server.  There seems to be no concept of offline for JSR88 that's
useful.

I remember the "Deployment Semantics Wars" of 2004 with much dread, and
don't wish to rekindle especially now as we're focused on J2EE
functionality, but can we revisit this?  I would imagine it would be
nice to have :

1) A JSR-88 compliant tool that is strict in it's support of the spec,
asymmetry and all.

2) A Geronimo-specific tool that lets me have the nifty things you guys
designed into this, like a redistributable configuration archive.  I'll
go re-read the threads...

geir

geirm@apache.org