geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:10:17 GMT
For the record;

+1 on canonical name as internal string representation
-1 on attempting to preserve whatever string is used to construct the
gbean name
+1 on restricting characters in gbean name and assuring that gbean name

On Feb 23, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> +1 on canonical name as internal string representation
>> -1 on attempting to preserve whatever string is used to construct the
>> gbean name
>
> I think the usability value in getting back what you put it is greater
> than having the keys rearranged on you (given the order of the keys is
> not significant to the implementation).
>
> Why do you think rearranging them is more usable?

I am making the argument that we MUST have a canonical form, so my
question is why must we keep two strings around just to for display
purposes.

>> +1 on restricting characters in gbean name and assuring that gbean
>> name  >> object name conversion always works in a non-surprising
>> manner.
>
> The restrictions on characters in ObjectName and the subsequent
> quoting mechanism are a consequence of the overloading between values
> and patterns. If we simplify the API and get rid of the latter then we
> no longer need any additional restrictions inside Geronimo.
>
> There is a clear conversion between a GBeanName and an ObjectName: any
> keys or values that contain characters that are illegal in JMX can be
> quoted and escaped /in JMX/; GBeanNames that are legal ObjectNames can
> be used as-is.

That is not true.  There is no escaping mechanism in ObjectName for
domain names and key names, only for key value, so without restricting
the type to be a true subset of ObjectName and enforcing that
restriction, it would be possible to create names that cannot be
represented in JMX.

-dain