geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: A couple of modest proposals
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:00:27 GMT
On Feb 9, 2005, at 10:38 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> After this mornings build fiasco I estimate that  I personally have
> spent between 5 and 10 hours dealing with the surprising behavior of
> the geronimo build, i.e. "don't build it all unless you remember an
> obscure switch"
>
> I'l like to suggest two things:
>
> 1. The default top level build target should reliably build all of
> geronimo.  Special targets can be provided for those who wish to build
> only parts.  Perhaps the project/maven files for these sub-builds
> could live in the directory of the part being built.

Puppies are cute! What exactly are you proposing?

> 2. The addition of new modules, especially those that impact several
> existing modules, be preceded by discussion or at least announcement
> on the dev list.

I think that is a bit of a harsh reaction.  People should be free to
add new modules as needed.  I think the rule should be "you must do a
full m:rebuild of geronimo before the checkin _and_ after".  That is
the real problem, not that people add modules.

-dain