geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:30:48 GMT

On Feb 23, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>> That of course means that someone would have to define their own
>> types, and the latest changes by David Jencks make defining your own
>> types the norm.  With his code you no longer declare an entire object
>> name for a gbean.  Instead you just define an instance name and type
>> (the type is actually extracted from the GBeanInfo).  So we are doing
>> everything possible to encourage the use of the JSR77 name hierarchy,
>> by making it the simplest and most natural configuration style.
>
> But we shouldn't require it for the container.  Great for J2EE, but
> could be utterly useless for someone else.

I hope I did not give the impression that a name format is required; it
is just encouraged.

I disagree with the statement that a name hierarchy is useless for
anything but J2EE.  To the contrary, I believe that it is useful to
everyone.  Without a well understood hierarchy, a user will be
presented with thousands of components with no categorization, and this
makes for a pretty unusable system.  After discussions with the James
team, I am very confident that JSR77 naming rules will map well to
their avalon based configs.  It should also map well to Pico and
Spring.  The idea is to encourage use with a bit of sugar by making it
the simplest and most powerful way to organize your components.

>> In the case where, they don't follow the JSR77 rules, the GBean
>> specific console would have to fall back to a default sorting rule.
>> This ugly display in the console would further encourage people to
>> use JSR77 names.
>
> Or they would just fix the console

Exactly.  If the categorization rules did not map well to their system,
they would write a new sorter plugin and get the display just the way
they want it.  If you have time, please take a look at the the new
configuration stuff David Jencks put in, and I bet you will see how
simple it is to use a hierarchy based name system.

-dain