geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Use velocity to add dependencies to plans from poms??
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:10:25 GMT
Every time I add or remove a dependency from a plan and have to modify
the project.xml as well I feel like our configuration system is just
not in a high enough normal form :-)

I think we could change this by using velocity to insert the whole
dependency element in the plans from the pom, copying in specially
marked dependencies.

So, in the plan, you'd have something like

%dependencies

at the top.

In the project.xml, you'd have something like

<dependency>
   <groupId>foo</groupId>
   <artifactId>bar</artifactid>
   <properties>
     <geronimo.plan>plan1.xml</geronimo.plan>
     <geronimo.plan>plan2.xml</geronimo.plan>
   </properties>
</dependency>

or, if maven doesn't like having lots of properties with the same name,

<dependency>
   <groupId>foo</groupId>
   <artifactId>bar</artifactid>
   <properties>
     <geronimo.plans>plan1.xml,plan2.xml</geronimo.plans>
   </properties>
</dependency>

I think this would reduce redundancy, but I am unsure if it would be
easier to use.  Opinions?

thanks
david jencks