geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Separate Kernel registry
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:38:54 GMT
With the current implementation of Kernel, it has to have a name and on
boot it automatically adds itself to a VM wide registry of known Kernels
using that name.

Whilst this is convenient, it makes it difficult for applications to
create and use anonymous kernels just to host a bunch of GBeans without
risk of conflicting with other applications in the same VM. To allow
this I plan to make the name and registration optional and to separate
the registry from the Kernel implementation itself.

I will leave the existing registration methods (like getSingleKernel())
for now but deprecate them.

This change will also allow us to simplify the boot/shutdown lifecycle
and allow the various kernel services (e.g. Config, Dependency and Proxy
managers) to be injected rather than being located during boot. Again,
the boot() method will be deprecated.

FWIW, this mimics the anonymous MBeanServer concept from JMX.
--
Jeremy