geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:16:58 GMT
David Blevins wrote:
> The protocol layer in OpenEJB uses the canonical string version all over
> the place.  We avoided ObjectName on the wire as String is capable of
> representing an ObjectName and serializes faster and with less bytes as
> there is special logic in java.io.ObjectOutput/InputStream that
> basically treats them like primitives.

I take it you have some form of custom serialization code that converts
ObjectName to String and back again. GBeanName is Serializable (and the
serialized form is just a String) so it should continue to work right
now until you can add custom serialization just as for ObjectName.

> I'm happy to see GBeanName replace ObjectName so we can have a JMX-free
> Kernel, but I don't want to GBeanName creep into places where ObjectName
> didn't need to go.

I don't see why it would.

--
Jeremy