geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:59:38 GMT
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> Does this mean that GBeanName is going to replace more than just where
> ObjectName was being used?

Not sure what you mean.

GBeanName is going to be how we identify GBean instances within a kernel
so instead of

Kernel.getAttribute(new ObjectName(instanceName), attrName)

you would write

Kernel.getAttribute(new GBeanName(instanceName), attrName)

If you are using the Kernel then you are already dependent on Geronimo;
we just eliminating the additional dependency on JMX.

> Right now ActiveMQ does not highly use the
> Geronimo Kernel at runtime like some of the other geronimo modules do,
> but if it did want to move in that direction, to for example to have the
> kernel lookup destinations at runtime, wouldn't not having a canonical
> name be less optimal when doing lookups?

In either case you are looking up by the name object not the string and
in both cases the order of the key/value pairs is not significant.

If you are looking in JMX rather than the Kernel (which is what we are
trying to get away from) then you would continue to use ObjectName just
as before.

--
Jeremy