geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A couple of modest proposals
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:26:51 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
>> After this mornings build fiasco I estimate that  I personally have
>> spent between 5 and 10 hours dealing with the surprising behavior of
>> the geronimo build, i.e. "don't build it all unless you remember an
>> obscure switch"
>>
>> I'l like to suggest two things:
>>
>> 1. The default top level build target should reliably build all of
>> geronimo.  Special targets can be provided for those who wish to build
>> only parts.  Perhaps the project/maven files for these sub-builds
>> could live in the directory of the part being built.
>

> When you say build all of geronimo, do you mean just geronimo or perform
> an uber-build?
>

> Regards,
> Alan

I would like to see what you check out of SVN at Apache build on its
own, every time, without needing to check out HEAD from several other
projects; we should be able to use published releases or, if necessary
(and temporarily), SNAPSHOTS.

The uber-build should be considered convenience for Geronimo developers
for use when, and only when, they are doing stuff that requires changes
in multiple projects. If we have clear APIs this should be relatively
infrequent.

Needing to build multiple projects concurrently from HEAD is a serious
PITA for most users of the project and we need to stop pissing them off.

Having said that I don't want us to disappear into another month long
period of disruption as we refactor the build yet again. We should plan
out how we, the whole community, would like it to work and get it right.

--
Jeremy