geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A Tomcat deployment question
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:29:59 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

>> Jeff,
>>     why do we need to use the TomcatModuleBuilder(TMB)
>> in j2ee-deployer-plan.xml ?
>

> Actually, I just left it in there because A) There is a Jetty Webbuilder
> version in there, and also for the sake of consistency.  I haven't tried
> to remove it from the j2ee-deployer-plan.xml.  Its definately worth a
> try and see what happens. If any of the Jetty guys want to chime in on
> this, it would definately be appreciated.

Hi,

Without the deployer it will be impossible to deploy webapps into Tomcat
embedded in Geronimo. It's based on the ideas of JettyWebBuilder. The
aim of a builder in general is to create GBeans, set up relationships,
etc. It is how Geronimo will get to know how to initialize and run them
later on during its startup. Unless Jeff changed more that I'm aware of
TomcatModuleBuilder creates a GBean for each of the deployed webapps. It
may have been done using JettyModuleBuilder, but we have to remember
that Gbeans that represent webapps deployed on Jetty have dependencies
on Jetty libs and thus they wouldn't work deployed on Tomcat.

A single webapp module builder (aka webapp deployer) is what will be the
next major step, I guess. Instead of repeating what's already done in
JettyModuleBuilder it'd be better off to have a geronimo-web.xml with a
variable that would indicate what web container should the webapp be
deployed to.

>> Are you actually able to run apps on Tomcat using the current TMB?
>

> Simple apps should be fine.  When I mean simple, I mean with no security
> and are standard servlet/JSP applications. The Tomcat object integration
> now supports just about everything including root component contexts,
> geronimo user transactions, JACC, and JAAS, security/policy contexts,
> and custom geronimo web application contexts.  When I say object
> integration, I mean the code and objects to hook into Tomcat have been
> written and somewhat unit tested.

More on http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Tomcat. It asks for some updates
  I guess reading the thread ;)

> The major bridge for total integration is finishing the builder. The
> builder currently does not pass on the security objects.  The TMB needs
> alot of work yet to get this integrated.  I understand Jacek is
> currently working on this.

Not quite, but it's on my todo list. Was very busy lately. Hopefully,
when kids are gone (school winter holidays in Poland, hurrayy!) I'll be
less overloaded.

> 2) The concept of a server.xml file needs to be supported for the Tomcat
> container.  In order to allow people to run thier web apps, we must
> support custom Valves and Realms at the container, host, and context
> levels.  This is normally declared in a server.xml file, however, we
> could allow for this type of declaration to be implemented in the plans
> somehow.  We need to kick around the appropriate place for this.  In any
> case, this would eventually be a required add-on to the TMB.

Definitelly a must for Geronimo's newcommers. I completely forgot about it.

> 3) It would be nice to have the servlets be GBeanized, like Jetty.
> Although this is not a requirement to get Tomcat integrated, it would be
> a nice-to-have for consistency sake.

It's a low priority requirement. Let's leave it for now.

> Jeff

Jacek