geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo/Spring integration - configurations?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:42:20 GMT
Jules Gosnell wrote:

>> The intent behind GBeans is that they are long running services - for
>> example, running for the lifetime of an application. Is that how
>> Spring would be using them or are you trying to create/delete
>> instances frequently (say on each web request)?
>

> long running services - the SpringGBean will do a kernel load and a
> kernel start on each one at the start-time of the module and a kernel
> stop and unload on each one at module stop-time.

This is exactly what a Configuration does to the GBean it contains - do
you think there is a way we can package a set of Spring components into
a Configuration?

The state portion of a Configuration comprises of:
* GBeanInfo describing classes of GBeans
* GBeanData describing instances of GBeans, with the values of their
   persistent attributes

When a Configuration starts, it loads GBeans into the kernel for each
GBeanData present which:
1) instantiates the target instances,
2) initializes them with their persistent attributes via CDI or SDI, and
3) leaves them in the STOPPED state;

If startRecursive is used then the kernel will also attempt to start them.

In an closely integrated world, a Spring builder would be able to
convert all Spring components into persistent GBeans that can be placed
into a Configuration. That Configuration could then run in any server
containing just the runtime components it needed and you would not need
to handle the runtime load,start,stop,unload,fail operations for every
component.

--
Jeremy