geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Spring integration...
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:31:47 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I think Jules has a point on this.  What about the use of other open
>> source projects that manage thier own private mbean lifecycles, such
>> as Tomcat?
>>

> Well, the obvious question is how does that integrate with a Geronimo
> kernel that is not based on JMX?

see my reply to David.

>> A significant portion of the Tomcat underbelly infrastructure is
>> managed this way.
>>
>> In the debugconsole, I can see the Tomcat created mbean objects.  But
>> when I try to manage them (view, etc), the debugconsole throws an
>> Exception that the object is not a gbean.  I don't know of this is
>> directly related, but it would be nice for gernimo to allow the
>> plugged in components to manage thier own mbean lifecycles, and to be
>> exposed.
>>

> I would say this is an artifact of mixing two different component
> models in the same MBeanServer. They should either be separated or
> more closely integrated.

see my reply to David - I think the onus is on Geronimo to meet
integrating parties once, particularly when they implement the J2EE
standard management interface, rather than leave each integration to do
its own thing, with all the likely incomprehensible and duplicate code
that this would involve.

Jules

> --
> Jeremy