geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Spring integration...
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:28:34 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> That's a somewhat different issue.  The Tomcat mbeans are basically
> completely unknown to geronimo.  If we started the kernel with the
> BasicGBeanRegistry rather than the JMXGBeanRegistry you'd never know
> they were there.

That's not to say that they are not needed though - Jetty, as I expect
Tomcat does, provides a J2EE management interface through the correct
APIs published via the JMX API on a number of it's internal components.
Geronimo's webcontainer management interface would be incomplete without
these - thus they should be made available through the kernel. na matter
what configuration you are running.

> If you wrapped the tomcat mbeans as gbeans, then you'd have a similar
> issue when you tried to decide if you wanted to use the tomcat
> lifecycle or replace it with the geronimo lifecycle.

You would put the relevant listeners on them such that they were
registered with the kernel after creation and removed before
destruction. They would not be created before the Jetty/Tomcat service
was deployed, or destroyed after it had been destroyed.

> At this point I think that having 2 dependency/lifecycle systems
> trying to manage the same objects is a disaster waiting to happen.  My
> current bias is to remove the other guys dependency/lifecycle
> management and do all of that through geronimo/gbeans.

??? lost you here - are you saying rewrite Tomcat and Jetty because they
implement the standard J2EE management interface and Geronimo doesn't ?

> If we don't do that, I think we will have to do something like
> installing the other guys dependency/lifecycle manager as a full gbean
> and exposing all the other objects it creates as unmanaged
> partial-gbean wrappers where geronimo does nothing with the
> lifecycle.  I don't have any idea how safe it would be to expose
> attribute writes and operations on such objects.

So, rather than dismiss it out of hand when we have no idea what it
involves, why don't we drill down a little and see just what it would
entail ?

regards,

Jules

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Feb 8, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I think Jules has a point on this.  What about the use of other open
>> source projects that manage thier own private mbean lifecycles, such
>> as Tomcat?
>>
>> A significant portion of the Tomcat underbelly infrastructure is
>> managed this way.
>>
>> In the debugconsole, I can see the Tomcat created mbean objects.  But
>> when I try to manage them (view, etc), the debugconsole throws an
>> Exception that the object is not a gbean.  I don't know of this is
>> directly related, but it would be nice for gernimo to allow the
>> plugged in components to manage thier own mbean lifecycles, and to be
>> exposed.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I am definitely against this change.  A fundamental assumption of
>>> the current GBean code is it controls life-cycle, and I believe
>>> changing this would have a massive impact on the entire GBean
>>> architecture.  I do believe that you could get it to work for your
>>> small use case, but I believe that the impact will be much larger
>>> then a small use case.  Further, I believe that you can use a
>>> delegation model to achieve this today without a kernel patch.
>>> I'm not saying that this should never change, but that this is not
>>> the time.  After certification, I would like to spend time
>>> rethinking the GBean architecture.  Specifically, I'd like to make
>>> it trivial to integrate Spring, Avalon, Pico, etc. components, and
>>> I'd like to make it easier to program with GBeans.  This means,
>>> taking a second look at the info object, data object, xml
>>> configuration, persistence, dispatching and life-cycle.  Anyway,
>>> this is something I believe can wait.
>>> -dain

>> --
>> Jeff Genender