geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo/Spring integration - Moving forward...
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:08:17 GMT
Rob Harrop wrote:

> Jules,
>
> I think it is best to keep the metadata in geronimo-spring.xml, purely
> because spring.xml has no support for modifying the XML format. You
> want that to be a standard Spring config with no special features.

I though you might say that :-)

We will end up with an xdoclet template to generate a
geronimo-spring.xml with metadata about classes and methods that need
exposing and keep it in sync with the code.... - maybe this can be done
via source-level attributes...

Does Spring not have any tag (or requirement for one - e.g. for JMX
exporting), which, in a Geronimo context, might be overloaded to mean
"export to Geronimo kernel" rather than just "export to JMX Agent" ?
i.e. just "export to relevant infrastructure".

> From a Spring perspective, the two things we need are JMX-exposed
> POJOs, which we can already do, and a JNDI-bound ApplicationContext
> which will allow for transparent merging of shared services into an
> application.

The more I'm learning about this stuff, the less straightforward it is
becoming :-(

It doesn't seem enough to just expose POJOs to JMX, since Geronimo
doesn't necessarily use it - we have to expose ourselves to the kernel
as GBeans, which means that the Spring JMX support needs to kick out
something which can be transformed into/look like a GBean description,
or we need to build it from the ground up.

Re JNDI - from what David is saying, it looks like being a well-named
GBean may be enough to get us published via JNDI. I will investigate
this more today.

Happy hacking ;-)

Jules

> Rob
>
> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>

>> I've taken all of the points raised on board and just checked in the
>> second cut, which splits Spring support into runtime and deploy time
>> components.
>>
>> I'm still having trouble getting the Builder spotted by the Deployer,
>> but as long as I run the DebugConsole config aswell I am OK - I'll
>> look further into it when the dust dies down.
>>
>> If anyone wants to take another look at the code and comment (yeah -
>> I know it's ugly at the moment) that would be gratefully received.
>>
>> Rob, what are your thoughts on publishing POJOs to the Geronimo
>> kernel ? Do we just blindly export all of them, can you attach
>> metadata in the spring.xml or source, or do you think it should go in
>> the geronimo-spring.xml.
>>
>> Logically, I think it should go in the latter, however,
>> pragmatically, this will lead to a maintenance nightmare as
>> spring.xml moves on and geronimo-spring.xml fossilises, so I would
>> rather see a single descriptor... - I guess we could do both ?
>>
>> Anyone have any interesting thoughts ?
>>
>> Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell