geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Axis GBean is deployable?
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:19:47 GMT
-- Current state of axis integration --

There are currently 2 sets of code for axis integration, and they may
look mingled together.  There's Srinath's original work, in the axis
module in org/apache/geronimo/axis, and there's my work, in
axis-builder and org/apache/geronimo/axis/client.  I think David
Blevins is about to commit some server-side code.

Srinath's original work, including the Axis gbean, doesn't fit into the
geronimo architecture very well, especially including the separation of
deployment and runtime phases.  It also appears to have a very
Axis-centric view of the world that I don't feel is entirely
appropriate for existence in an application server.  This code has not
been maintained for several months and is not currently used in
Geronimo.

When I started looking into service-references for web services in
geronimo, it was with fairly good understanding of the geronimo
architecture, but no knowledge of web services or axis.  I found it
easiest to "learn by doing" and extend the techniques commonly used in
geronimo to axis, attempting to use exactly the features we need.   So
far the results have resulted in a service-ref implementation that
dispenses with code generation and run-time deployment descriptor
interpretation.  Instead of code generation I'm using CGlib proxies,
and instead of the wsdd file I'm directly configuring axis
configuration objects and serializing them.  Although so far the
results seem good, we won't know for sure until the server side
implementation is complete.

thanks
david jencks