geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: GBeanName [was: svn commit: r154723...]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:46:52 GMT
On Feb 23, 2005, at 10:59 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> I've been following from the peanut gallery, and like deployment,
>>> this seems to be a required topic for participation, so I need to
>>> ask :
>>>
>>> Why not preserve the string?  it has no intrinsic meaning, does it?
>>>  And thus, why not let it be preserved as a convenience for the
>>> user?
>>>
>>> That way, JSR77 name retain their conventional structure, for
>>> example...
>>
>> You're assuming that we build JSR77 names in a canonical format, and
>> we don't.  It is the job of the console to format a name into
>> something readable by a user.  IMO this is a tree and not a list of
>> 200 character names.
>
> But I don't assume that geronimo is only used for things where JSR77
> is relevant...
>
> I think it's really important that we remember how useful the Geronimo
> container is w/o J2EE...

Very good point.

Of course, I'd like to challenge you assumption again ;)  It seems to
me that your assuming people will use GBeans without JSR77 style names.
  JSR77 not only address exactly what names must be used (e.g.,
j2eeType=StatelessSessionBean), it also defines a way to buildup a name
hierarchy.  The rules for the name construction define a natural
hierarchy that "falls out" from a few simple rules (I can go into the
rules if you want).  This means that you can easily define your own
types and a smart console will be able to build it into a tree.

That of course means that someone would have to define their own types,
and the latest changes by David Jencks make defining your own types the
norm.  With his code you no longer declare an entire object name for a
gbean.  Instead you just define an instance name and type (the type is
actually extracted from the GBeanInfo).  So we are doing everything
possible to encourage the use of the JSR77 name hierarchy, by making it
the simplest and most natural configuration style.

In the case where, they don't follow the JSR77 rules, the GBean
specific console would have to fall back to a default sorting rule.
This ugly display in the console would further encourage people to use
JSR77 names.

-dain