geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sandip Ghayal <sgha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:06:33 GMT
My Two cents on this

I am referring to specs version JTA-1_0_1B

My interpretition is that section 3.2.2 and section
3.3.3 are referring to different scenarios.

3.2.2. is where the transaction is associated with the
thread whereas 3.3.3 is referring to scenarios when
transaction is not associated with the thread.

In detail 3.2.2 refers to scenarios where the
transaction is associated with currently running
object (could be an EJB). In those scenarios after
commit call is made transaction should be
disassociated from the thread.

Section 3.3.3 refers to scenarios where client started
the transaction. Currently no thread on the server is
associated with the transaction. Actual transaction is
in suspended state, with no association. As
transaction is not associated with the thread, one
does not need to disassociate the transaction from the
thread

Now regarding STATUS.STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION my take is
After transaction has been commited/rollback on the
thread that is associated with transaction and
getStatus() call is made to TransactionManager one
should get STATUS.NoTransaction. But if you have
access to transaction Object
(TransactionManager.getTransaction()) and after commit
(or rollback) one does getStatus on this object then
we need to return back STATUS.STATUS_COMMITTED (or
STATUS.STATUS_ROLLBACK)

Also one more caution, after commit method returns
back there should not be any transaction associated
with the thread. i.e. if the call is made during
afterCompletion stage for getStatus it should return
back STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION.

Cheers,

Sandip Ghayal