geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Signatrue change of GBeanRegistry.listGBeans [Re: svn commit: r154941]
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:37:15 GMT
On Feb 23, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> Perhaps on more detailed examination you'll realize that the only
>>> thing changed is that we no longer support partially wildcarded
>>> domain patterns, something that we never used and was pretty
>>> pointless.
>> So you have removed the feature supporting domain wild cards.  I know
>> we currently don't use them, but don't see any reason to remove them
>> either.  Also I belive that you have changed the meaning of an empty
>> domain name.  In JMX it means match the default domain only, which is
>> something I want to begin using in our plans and matching code.
>
> Nope, as I said, I removed /partial/ wildcards - stuff like
> "test?omain" - full wildcards (i.e. "*" or no value) operate as
> before. Do you really see a need to keep that, and if so wouldn't it
> be better in a more flexible query mechanism similar to JMX's
> QueryExp?

I personally dislike the JMX QueryExp objects, and the Kernel has never
supported them.  If you want to explore a QueryExp system because you
find it useful, please do.  I like the current features of the
ObjectName queries and don't want to have that functionality removed.

> I treat a /missing/ domain as a wildcard, which is exactly what we did
> before. An empty domain as in ":x=x" is not a wildcard but an exact
> match to the domain "". It specifically does not match the default
> domain unless that just happens to have been set to "" as well (and
> the default default domain is "DefaultDomain").

From, my understanding, and I could be wrong.  The name ":x=x" should
be queried as "<default-domain>:x=x" according to JMX.  If I was not
doing that in the non-jmx based registry it was a bug.

>> Anyway, here is my formal -1 roadblock.
>
> To what and why?

Removal of domain query functionality and splitting of the name and
pattern.  I don't see any reason to remove this functionality.

-dain