geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Deployment architecture
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:30:56 GMT

On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2005, at 11:04 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> Combining a couple of responses...
>> On Jan 3, 2005, at 9:28 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Just a couple curiosities.
>>>
>>> Would moving the coupling between module builders to be coupling on
>>> work objects achieve much as far as actually decoupling the
>>> deployment system, or would it just introduce another brittle layer
>>> in the existing coupling?
>>
>> I don't know:-)  I think the main decoupling effect would be that
>> each builder would be able to say "someone needs to process this"
>> rather than "you, in particular, need to process this".  It looks to
>> me as if the current system is getting more and more classes that
>> need to know specifically about one another and call specific (often
>> static) methods on each other.  I'm wondering if there is some way to
>> make this more uniform and generic and perhaps extensible and in
>> particular to easily support web service and portlet deployment.
>
> IMNSHO this is caused by our usage of XML beans.  When I talked to the
> XML beans guys at ApacheCon they told me to put an abstraction layer
> between XML beans and our deployment code.  This allows them to
> innovate and us to have well defined objects with interfaces.  If we
> had interfaces (and normal objects) for our metadata, we would be able
> to create generic metadata processors.  I personally believe that the
> majority of the "ugliness" of our deployment code is the lack of
> abstraction (flexibility) of our metadata objects.

Can you give me some more specific idea of what you are talking about
and how it might work?  I'm intrigued but really have no idea what you
mean.

> [...]
>>
>>> I'm a bit confused about how you envision this working, so please
>>> take my comments with a grain of salt :)
>>
>> Me too, at this point I'm speculating:-)

>>> Do you really mean a chain?  The word chain implies an order to me,
>>> so is there an order you are thing of?  If not, how about "set" or
>>> "bag".
>>
>> Definitely an ordered chain of "interceptors".  All deployments would
>> happen by feeding stuff into the single topmost interceptor.
>
> Why do we need order?  I thin it would help me if you could give an
> example of what the order would look like.
>
>>> 2. some sort of "deferred work" object that allows one builder to
>>> ask another one, farther down the chain, to do some work for it.

>>> If I have this correct, you are suggest we switch from a push
>>> (cache) system, to a pull system.
>> I don't think so, or at least not entirely.  I am suggesting that the
>> "init context" method would be one interceptor that adds stuff to the
>> deployment context so it can be used by any later interceptor.
>> However, instead of say the ejb builder directly calling the naming
>> builder with snippets of info to build the read-only context, it
>> would just add an object to the context to be processed later by the
>> naming builder.  The advantage I see here is that the ejb builder
>> doesn't need to know anything about who is going to do the work for
>> it, nor does it need a reference to the naming builder.
>
> If we had normal metadata object, the objects themselves could perform
> the processing located in our "static" methods.  Anyway, isn't it the
> job of the EJB builder to provide ejb-refs?  Of course he can delegate
> it to another object, but doesn't the buck stop with the ejb builder.
> Said another way, shouldn't that be an internal detail of the ejb
> builder?
>
>> I think I remember someone mentioning the idea of having some kind of
>> builder registry so that a builder when faced with some plan bits it
>> doesn't deal with directly could ask the registry to find the
>> appropriate builder and process it.  I think this deferred work idea
>> provides the same functionality without a central registry.
>
> I'm not sure I like that also.  My thoughts have revolved around
> having a single builder responsible for a module type and child
> builders that can add stuff the deployment but are not the main
> builder.  For example, wars are currently handled by the JettyBuilder
> which means that it is this builder that is responsible for coping the
> files from the war archive into the deployment context, setting up the
> bulk of the class path, and the module GBeans.  Then if we had a
> portlet builder, it would get a chance to add to the classpath and add
> additional gbeans to the the deployment.  I envision this being
> implemented by the web module builder having a collection reference to
> child web module builders, and iteration over the set in each build
> method.  Is there something I'm missing that makes this complex?

Well, right now the ear builder has references to a bunch of other
builders that it has to explicitly delegate various work to.  Your
proposal for the web builder is similar, in that it will have a set of
sub-builders that at various times it explicitly calls.  With an
interceptor chain, you wouldn't need these references at all: the ear
builder would simply decompose ears into a bunch of modules, and the
other builders would find and work on them.  The web builder would just
work on the web.xml, and the portlet builder would just add stuff to
the context.  One way of looking at this is that with the interceptors
we are building a high level domain specific language for deployment,
and setting up the interceptor chain is programming deployment in that
language.  Instead of java code maintaining and using references from
one builder to another, we set up the interceptor order to do the same
work for us.   Of course the current reference-based deployment system
can also be regarded as a domain specific language.  I think it might
be harder to understand since it has many more references and can't be
written down linearly.  I'm by no means convinced that my idea is good,
but every time I've switched to an interceptor based architecture it
has really improved the power and simplicity of the system.

>>> I'm not sure that will work in the case of an EJB ref.  An EJB ref
>>> has matching rules, that really need holistic view of all EJBs in
>>> the deployment unit.  Off the top of my head we have the following
>>> precedence rules:
>>>
>>> * Exact ejb-link specification of EJB module and EJB name
>>> * No module in ejb-link, but an EJB in the current module has the
>>> same name as the ejb-link name
>>> * No module in ejb-link, but only one EJB in the EAR that has the
>>> same name as the ejb-link name
>>> * No ejb-link, but only one EJB has the same name as the type and
>>> interfaces of the ejb-ref
>>>
>>> For most ejb-refs, you need to need to inspect every EJB in the ear.
>>
>> I should be a bit more specific:-)
>>
>> Lets say we're deploying an ear with 2 ejb modules.  Here's a sketch
>> of what happens:
>>
>> ear-builder: detects modules in the ear and adds 2 ejb-work objects
>> to context
>>
>> ejb-init-builder: for each ejb-work object, adds name of ejb to
>> context (i.e., does the init context work from current ejb-builder)
>>
>> (other stuff, like connector deployment...)
>> ejb-builder: for  each ejb in each ejb-work object, starts
>> constructing the ejb container gbeans.  It adds a naming-work object
>> to the context that will fill in the read-only-context attribute of
>> the gbean when it is processed.
>>
>> (other stuff)
>> naming-builder: for each naming-work object in the context, it uses
>> builds the read-only context and sets the GBeanData attribute value.
>>
>> (other stuff)
>> serializer: checks that there are no unprocessed work objects, and
>> serializes the configuration
>
> My gut says, this is way complex and will be hard to debug.  The is
> mainly since there is no way to know who is responsible for a piece of
> data.  At the end, you have an extra piece of data, and you don't know
> if it was optional, if it is bad data, or it was good data and the
> expected builder was not online.  Just my gut.

You could well be right, but I'm not sure it is any different from what
we have now.

>>> Why do we need "builders" for security, naming, and gbeans.  Can't
>>> we get buy with a utility class instead of a full blown service?
>>
>> That's what we have now.  It works, but I'm not thrilled about the
>> extensive use of static methods.  We also have the client builder
>> needing a reference to the connector builder.  We want to be able to
>> deploy connection factories and admin objects (datasources and
>> topics/queues) from any plan, so at least the ejb, web, and ear
>> builders would need references to the connector builder as well.  I'm
>> worried we will get an impenetrable web of connections between
>> builders that is difficult to set up or maintain, and wondering if it
>> can be simplified.
>
> I don't like them either.  IMNSHO these static methods belong in the
> metadata objects, but since we don't have metadata object they end up
> in helper classes.  I think once you introduce real metadata object, a
> huge amount of complexity will fall out of the deployment code.

Again, I'd really like to know more about what you are thinking of and
how it would work.

>>> Ya, you lost me here.  Can you be more specific on where I would use
>>> "deferred work" and how it would be implemented?
>>
>> Is the ejb example above detailed enough?
>
> Yep.

>>> Not sure how that is better then what we have today.

>>> Again, I'm not sure how that is better, but I think that would be an
>>> easy change to make.  Instead of having an 4 builders we have a set
>>> and ask each one if it can handle a specific module (or give it all
>>> modules and say do what you can).  I'm just now sure it buys us
>>> much.  I most afraid that we will loose the ability to have good
>>> error messages since we don't know who is supposed to be responsible
>>> for a module.
>>
>> I'm proposing that we shift from the model of deployment components
>> having a list of builders that they iterate over in hopes of finding
>> one that works, to a model  where you just throw stuff on a single
>> chain and look to see if everything got done at the end of the chain.
>>  I don't see how this affects our ability to improve our currently
>> uninformative error messages: either way, if there's a builder that
>> recognizes that it should be able to process something, it can
>> provide a specific error if it fails, and if there isn't, we don't
>> recognize something so its hard to say what we should have done.
>
> I'm getting the feeling that this is just different, but we have the
> same problems.

Probably, but with a single well defined end of the chain it might be
easier to check for unprocessed bits.  I don't see this as being a
significant argument either way.

thanks
david jencks