geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Review - svn commit: r126264
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:21:14 GMT
Thanks for the link Jeff.

If you download the IDF file pack on that page, it contains just idl
files without any notice or license, but if you pull down the actual
CORBA spec it has a two page license right at the top.  After a quick
read I think the most important part for us is (remember INAL):

Subject to all of the terms and conditions below, the owners of the
copyright in this specification hereby grant you a fully-paid up,
non-exclusive, nontransferable, perpetual, worldwide license (without
the right to sublicense), to use this specification to create and
distribute software and special purpose specifications that are based
upon this specification, and to use, copy, and distribute this
specification as provided under the Copyright Act; provided that: (1)
both the copyright notice identified above and this permission notice
appear on any copies of this specification; (2) the use of the
specifications is for informational purposes and will not be copied or
posted on any network computer or broadcast in any media and will not
be otherwise resold or transferred for commercial purposes; and (3) no
modifications are made to this specification. This limited permission
automatically terminates without notice if you breach any of these
terms or conditions. Upon termination, you will destroy immediately any
copies of the specifications in your possession or control.

My guess it is up to Geir to decide what we do, but I propose we put a
notice on the IDL files telling people to read the NOTICE file.  In the
notice file we put the copyright notice as required in 1, and snip the
entire license section from the spec and put it in an CORBA-license.txt
file.

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom