geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo/Spring integration - Deployer checked in...
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:53:42 GMT
Rob,

You'll need to refresh your view - I have made a few changes, including
quickly hacked up support for one-level of nested packed jars:

foo.spr/
    META-INF/spring.xml
    foo/Foo.class
    bar.jar
        bar/Bar.class

This is useful as you can just throw any jars that your Spring app uses
into the spr, jar it all up and drop it into Geronimo :-)

Re patching, there is an svn diff (I think), for the moment, just send
me patches and I'll commit them. If things go well and you need further
access we can work on persuading the powers that be to let you in...

Jules

Rob Harrop wrote:

> What is the preferred mechanism for contributing this code? Should
> Jules check it all in. I'm not that familiar with SVN - can I create a
> patch like with CVS?
>
> Rob
>
> Rob Harrop wrote:
>
>> Jules,
>>
>> This is great stuff - I'm just downloading everything here at work
>> and I will start to look at the Spring side of things - specifically
>> satisfying dependencies using the beans that are deployed in Geronimo.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>>

>>> I have just checked in the beginnings of a SpringDeployer (revision
>>> 128446).
>>>
>>> This requires an updated version of Spring (1.1.3). So, if you tend to
>>> run your builds offline, you will need to hook up and let maven sort
>>> it all out.
>>>
>>> A Spring deployable currently looks like this - e.g. :
>>>
>>> foo.spr/
>>>    META-INF/spring.xml
>>>    Foo.class
>>>    Bar.class
>>>
>>> Classes should be deployed unpacked at the top level of the jar :
>>>
>>> You should run the org/apache/geronimo/SpringDeployer configuration in
>>> your server to use this functionality.
>>>
>>> The org/apache/geronimo/DebugConsole will be useful to look at GBeans
>>> that represent your Spring apps.
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> [jules@smilodon cvs]$ java -jar
>>> geronimo/modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT/bin/deployer.jar
>>> --user system --password manager deploy foo.spr
>>> Deployed
>>> [jules@smilodon cvs]$ java -jar
>>> geronimo/modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT/bin/deployer.jar
>>> --user system --password manager undeploy
>>> /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> Undeployed /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> [jules@smilodon cvs]$
>>>
>>> output from server :
>>>
>>> 23:39:45,704 INFO  [Daemon] Server startup completed
>>> PLANNING: /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> BUILDING: /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> 23:40:23,556 INFO  [XmlBeanDefinitionReader] Loading XML bean
>>> definitions from class path resource [META-INF/spring.xml]
>>> 23:40:23,679 INFO  [LocalConfigStore:config-store] Installed
>>> configuration /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr in location 16
>>> 23:40:23,730 INFO  [ConfigurationManagerImpl] Loaded Configuration
>>> geronimo.config:name="/tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr"
>>> 23:40:23,733 INFO  [Configuration] Started configuration
>>> /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> 23:40:38,787 INFO  [Container] Started HttpContext[/,/]
>>> 23:41:36,069 INFO  [Configuration] Stopping configuration
>>> /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>> 23:41:36,078 INFO  [ConfigurationManagerImpl] Unloaded Configuration
>>> geronimo.config:name="/tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr"
>>> 23:41:36,083 INFO  [LocalConfigStore:config-store] Uninstalled
>>> configuration /tmp/deployer34206.tmpdir/foo.spr
>>>

>>> Functionality is rudimentary at the moment.
>>>
>>> Only one GBean is created per Spring app.
>>>
>>> We hope to add the following functionality soon :
>>>
>>> 1. Support for a META-INF/geronimo-spring.xml (internally or
>>> externally) - this will be used to provide platform specific deploy
>>> time metadata.
>>>
>>> 2. The possibility of exposing individual Spring generated beans as
>>> GBeans in the Geronimo kernel with all attendant benefits -
>>> management, monitoring and persistent configuration.
>>>
>>> 3. Transparent injection of platform hosted resources into Spring apps
>>> - allowing seemless hookup between Spring composed apps running in
>>> different containers within Geronimo.
>>>
>>> 4. Support for nested jars within the .spr.
>>>
>>> 5. Anything else that looks useful - please join this thread with your
>>> ideas.
>>>

>>> The code is in modules/spring-builder if you want to take a look.
>>>
>>> If anyone can figure out how to move the Spring-related stuff out of
>>> the j2ee-runtime-deployer-plan.xml and back into the
>>> spring-deployer-plan.xml without losing the deployer they will have my
>>> undying gratitude - I ran out of steam - maybe tomorrow :-)
>>>
>>> We will be working closely with the Spring team on this integration. We
>>> hope that both Geronimo and Spring will benefit substantially from
>>> this.
>>>
>>> Enjoy,
>>>
>>> Jules

crystallises out around it."