geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Getting Geronimo version on the command line
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:24:51 GMT
Hi,

I've come across a file that I didn't know what it is for -
kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/Version. It looks like it was
meant to provide information about the Kernel version. The module -
kernel - depends on two geronimo-specs. There's also  the GBean -
system/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/system/serverinfo/ServerInfo that
provides the information. It relies on the ServerConstants class of the
same package. During the build (see maven.xml of the system module) the
file - org/apache/geronimo/system/serverinfo/geronimo-version.properties
- is created and populated with a necessary data. The file is then read
by ServerConstants.

I think kernel module should provide information about itself. Unless
I'm mistaken it's decided to minimize the dependencies of kernel as much
as possible, thus the two spec deps.

Should Version be implemented similarly to ServerConstants and
ServerConstants be removed? SystemInfo could then read the version
information from Kernel module.

We should also create the main method of Version to let people find out
what Kernel (and Geronimo in general) they work with.

Suggestions?

Jacek