geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From toby cabot <t...@caboteria.org>
Subject Re: problem with axis/xerces and web apps
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:34:44 GMT
Thanks David.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:38:27AM -0800, David Jencks wrote:
> Are you using a geronimo plan with
> <context-priority-classloader>true</context-priority-classloader>
> for your web app?

I wasusing a value of "false" before, but I tried "true" and as you
expected it caused other problems, specifically:

org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException: Class org.apache.geronimo.kernel.log.GeronimoLogFactory
does not implement org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ClassUtils.verifyAncestory(ClassUtils.java:134)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.verifyAncestory(SPInterface.java:155)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.newInstance(SPInterface.java:149)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverClass.java:533)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:372)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:332)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory$1.run(LogFactory.java:45)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLogFactory(LogFactory.java:41)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.<clinit>(LogFactory.java:33)

> I think it's likely that we added axis to geronimo between early jan
> and now.
>
> If this doesn't work (I think there is a reasonable chance it will
> cause other problems) you might need to assemble geronimo using the
> versions of axis and xerces you need.
>
> What happens if you use the versions of axis and xerces that geronimo
> uses? Are our versions out of date?  If we actually implemented j2ee
> web services would that also solve the problem :-)?

I don't think it's a version problem, the versions of the tools that
you guys are using seem to be up-to-date.  If I include Xerces in my
war file then Axis appears to load that one, but it crashes with the
ClassCastException in my previous email, seemingly because of some
code in Xerces that loads a class with one classloader and tries to
cast it to the same class, only loaded by a different classloader.  If
I *don't* include Xerces in my war file then Castor (which I'm also
using) can't find some xerces class that it needs so it throws.  Don't
remember the stack trace but I can reproduce it if it helps.

How hard do you think it would be to build Geronimo without Axis?  If
Geronimo pulls the classes from the jars in my war file then it should
work fine, at least it used to work fine.  Alternatively, could
Geronimo load classes from the war file lib directory in preference to
the repository?

Thanks for your help,
Toby