geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: How to add a GBean Instance to a configuration at runtime.
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:39:12 GMT
On Jan 13, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Dondi Imperial wrote:

> I want to be able to add security realms at runtime. This is easy
> enough. The problem is that the instance is no longer available when I
> stop then restart Geronimo. I was thinking that the instance is not
> persisted because it is not loaded into a configuration and maybe if I
> could do this then the instance(s) would survive server restarts.

Yes, that is the best solution.  Only whole configurations are
persisted, so if you just create a GBean and add it to the kernel it is
basically a transient GBean (i.e. not available on a restart).
Currently the easiest thing to do is create to a configuration
containing a single GBean, add the configuration to the persistent
store and start the configuration (so it is added to the list of
configurations to auto start).  There are some test cases that do
exactly this, and hopefully someone can point you at one.

In the future, we would like to add the ability to add additional
GBeans to an existing configuration, so we don't end up with millions
of single GBean configurations.

-dain