geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject XDoclet 1.2.2 support for Geronimo ( different to XDoclet2 support in GERONIMO-519 )
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:22:35 GMT
I have done some work on XDoclet 1.2.2 support for Geronimo (
http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/index.html ).

Currently there is support for generating the openejb-jar.xml file for
session and message-driven beans (not entity beans).

The reasons I chose XDoclet 1.2.2 instead of XDoclet2 (
http://xdoclet.codehaus.org/ ):

* it appears to have a larger user base, is already used by many projects
and the supports the majority of other application servers.  Adding
Geronimo support to a future XDoclet 1.2.* distribution would expose
Geronimo to that user base and hopefully encourage its adoption.
* a lack of XDoclet2 documentation
* not many other application servers had XDoclet2 support
* not much activity on the XDoclet2 mailing list archives
* I have limited time to get some existing projects (that use XDoclet for
generating App Server specific deployment descriptors for various App
Servers) to be able to generate Geronimo deployment descriptors/plans.

I'm not suggesting XDoclet2 is not the way forward and my decision was
based upon nontechnical observations.  It would be nice if we could
provide both XDoclet 1.2.2 and XDoclet2 support, so the user has the
choice of what they want to use.  If we are going to do that, we would
want to ensure that the @Geronimo tags are consistent between the two, so
people can move from one to the other as easily as possible.

The tags supported in Len Yeung's XDoclet2 support (
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-519 ) don't appear to
overlap the tags supported in my XDoclet 1.2.2 support, so we have time to
get this right.

I am currently working on basic tag reference doco (the xtags.xml file)
and once complete, will create another JIRA issue and attach patches so
people can review and contribute.  Once Geronimo's configuration has
stabilised we could then look at moving the Geronimo XDoclet 1.2.2 module
source to the sourceforge project so that it is included in future XDoclet
releases (assuming there aren't any licensing issues preventing that).

Regards,

John Sisson