geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Module Still Broken
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:47:19 GMT
On Dec 8, 2004, at 12:11 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> The problem is tomcat and jetty have fundamentally different designs
>> and architectures, so any abstraction would limit both.  The nice
>> thing about the gbean architecture is it was designed to allows
>> components to not agree on a common design.
>> Regardless of this discussion, I don't think we want to ship two huge
>> web servers in the geronimo distribution.  My guess is this will add
>> at least 15 megs to the distribution.
>
> I absolutely agree. I think the problem would go away if Geronimo had
> the possibility to download its configuration and wire it in
> dynamicaly. I think, it's Jeremy's idea. So, people would decide which
> configuration they need and Geronimo would download it afterwards.
> It's similar in concept to the way maven dependencies work.
>
> Dain, do you think, it'd sort it out once and for all?

I think that is a separate issue although and it is a important one.
I'm getting at what people get out of the box.  I expect us to produce
at least 3 distributions, a server with Jetty, a server with Tomcat,
and a minimal empty server.  The last option would be a server
containing almost nothing, and all major services would be downloaded.

-dain