geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Writing dummy Servlet to redirect HTTP/SOAP requests
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:37:55 GMT

On Dec 14, 2004, at 10:24 PM, Srinath Perera wrote:

> Hi David;
>> I don't think exactly this will work.  I have two related ideas that
>> will work;
>>
>> 1.  Supply the kernel name and axis gbean object name as init params
>> for the servlet.  The init method can then get the actual kernel using
>> the kernel name
>>
>> Kernel kernel = Kernel.getKernel(kernelName);
>>
>> and get a proxy to the axis gbean using its object name (don't
>> remember
>> the code).  This could be done with the current web deployment
>> framework.
> there is a minus point as we need to user kernel to invoke the methods
> that we do not like to do unless absolutly necessary

You can get a proxy implementing axis[GBean].  While calls do go
through some CGLib machinery, they go through just as much with
proposal (2).  (1) can be implemented without writing a special
builder, just generating web.xml.

>> 2.  I think an even better approach is to extend JettyServletHolder to
>> include a reference to the AxisGBean and to construct the servlet
>> instance with the reference.  Since we would control the construction
>> of the servlet, it could have a non-default constructor.  This would
>> require writing some web services deployment code that would process
>> the web services dd and add gbeans to the context directly.
>
> that would be nice :) if I got the idea  correct it is if Servlet has
> constructor with AxisGBean the kernel injected refernace to AxisGBean
> for us! hope that is not unfair requirment from the web container
> point of view

we won't be deploying a normal servlet, but a "servlet" with a
non-default constructor.  This would depend on quite a few details of
the jetty-geronimo integration.

david jencks