geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <>
Subject Xerces jars in lib - why there and why 2.6.0?
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:16:54 GMT

If I might upgrade Xerces jars to 2.6.2, org/apache/geronimo/Tomcat
would only require the java.endorsed.dirs env var to point to lib
directory of Geronimo build, i.e.
modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT/lib and it's already done
in the code (no need to specyfing it on the command line anymore).

Currently, the version of Xerces is 2.6.0 and it's in the lib dir with
xmlParserAPIs-2.2.1.jar. Why is the file - xmlParserAPIs-2.2.1.jar -
over there? Is it only because Xerces 2.6.0 required it? if so, Xerces
2.6.2 doesn't do it anymore. Besides, reads:

"We recommend everyone uses xml-apis and stops using xmlParserAPIs.jar
as the latter only contains part of JAXP and ships as part of Xerces."

So, in fact, the xmlParserAPIs jar shouldn't be used at all.

As there're loads of XML processing I don't want to step up on anyone's
toes and firstly ask before doing the upgrade to Xerces 2.6.2 if there's
any objections (the jars of Xerces 2.6.2 have just been uploaded to, so it should very soon be on Are they any reasons to keep Geronimo with Xerces 2.6.0 jars?

View raw message