geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Module Still Broken
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:53:51 GMT
Sastry Malladi wrote:

> I apologize for jumping in the middle.
> It makes sense to have several different configurations and
> corresponding distributions, rather than bundling everything together.
> As long as there is a simple and easy way to "drop in (i.e replace)" a
> different servlet container,  with everything else in-tact, that is
> sufficient, in my opinion. It will also be
> useful to have 2 or 3 pre-baked configurations (e.g a light weight
> container ( servelets/jsp, JNDI,  JDBC, JAAS and JACC),  container with
> just the standard J2EE components,  container with additional features
> like(some of these may not have been currently planned) High
> availability/clustering, resource management, auto-provisioning of
> servers/nodes based on demand etc.)

Re-configuring the server to support different configurations is a
fairly trivial task. The intention is to actually package some of these
configurations as maven artifacts during the normal Geronimo build but
until then the plans for them can be found in the assembly module.

We (Gluecode) already do this to construct our JOE application platform
which is targeted at certain usage models. Other organizations can, of
course, do the same thing - tailor configurations for a specific
application, workload, or customer requirements. Compliance with any
thirdparty licensing provisions is left as an exercise for the user ;-)

--
Jeremy