geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sastry Malladi <>
Subject Re: Tomcat Module Still Broken
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:50:38 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2004, at 12:11 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>> The problem is tomcat and jetty have fundamentally different designs
>>> and architectures, so any abstraction would limit both.  The nice
>>> thing about the gbean architecture is it was designed to allows
>>> components to not agree on a common design.
>>> Regardless of this discussion, I don't think we want to ship two
>>> huge web servers in the geronimo distribution.  My guess is this
>>> will add at least 15 megs to the distribution.
>> I absolutely agree. I think the problem would go away if Geronimo had
>> the possibility to download its configuration and wire it in
>> dynamicaly. I think, it's Jeremy's idea. So, people would decide
>> which configuration they need and Geronimo would download it
>> afterwards. It's similar in concept to the way maven dependencies work.
>> Dain, do you think, it'd sort it out once and for all?
> I think that is a separate issue although and it is a important one.
> I'm getting at what people get out of the box.  I expect us to produce
> at least 3 distributions, a server with Jetty, a server with Tomcat,
> and a minimal empty server.  The last option would be a server
> containing almost nothing, and all major services would be downloaded.

I apologize for jumping in the middle.
It makes sense to have several different configurations and
corresponding distributions, rather than bundling everything together.
As long as there is a simple and easy way to "drop in (i.e replace)" a
different servlet container,  with everything else in-tact, that is
sufficient, in my opinion. It will also be
useful to have 2 or 3 pre-baked configurations (e.g a light weight
container ( servelets/jsp, JNDI,  JDBC, JAAS and JACC),  container with
just the standard J2EE components,  container with additional features
like(some of these may not have been currently planned) High
availability/clustering, resource management, auto-provisioning of
servers/nodes based on demand etc.)

> -dain

View raw message