geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <>
Subject Re: Tomcat Module Still Broken
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:58:51 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> Jacek,
> 	I'm still not sure what you're trying to achieve.
> 	Right now, it looks like the server configuration files for the
> assembly module (in src/plan) have Tomcat settings present but commented
> out.  In the simple world, if someone wanted to enable Tomcat, they'd need
> to comment the Jetty settings and uncomment the Tomcat settings.  There's
> nothing that needs to be done with the deploy tool to make this work; just
> change the server plans and rerun the assembly build.  So on that basis,
> you ought to be able to remove the deployer call from the Tomcat build
> script.

That's not that simple as you wrote as the idea was to not touch
assembly module at all and build the tomcat module outside of the build
process. The only requirement is that before building the tomcat module
assembly has to be done. I see it to be not enough. I don't know about
any solution in Geronimo to deploy a gbean that provides some sort of
service and tells the server to choose it instead of another service
that provides it, too. I had to tweak the j2ee-deployer and j2ee-server
plans and perhaps at that time geronimo-tomcat was added. If noone wants
geronimo-tomcat but me, it should also be commented out.

> 	In a more complex world, I think we could include both Tomcat and
> Jetty in the same server.  However, there would need to be some way to
> signify that a particular WAR should be deployed to one or the other.

I don't think the solution will find its users. Who will want to run two
web containers at the same time? Having one is enough for most if not
all people.

> Still, nothing here requires the deployer JAR to run during
> the Tomcat build process.

See above. Assuming I want to build a gbean and deploy it to handle some
tasks the deployer is the way to go. How should it have been done otherwise?

> 	So I'm thinking that whichever way you go, you can remove the call
> to the deployer JAR from the Tomcat build, and then the Tomcat build
> should work OK before the assembly module is built.

And the tomcat gbean will never go live unless assembly is modified.
You're right, I'll modify assembly and comment out the tomcat module's
stuff. Having a switch to turn on and off the tomcat module's additions
would be great, wouldn't it?

> Aaron

View raw message