geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: Proposal to remove processing of geronimo-service.xml files in dependencies
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:48:10 GMT
On Dec 27, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> After thinking about this some more I think the major issue is that
>> one cannot tell from the top level plan whether a dependency is a
>> plain jar or if it includes a 570-node tree of recursive
>> sub-dependencies.  Renaming and autogenerating the xml config file,
>> while good ideas, won't help with this problem.
> The 570 nodes are still there - it comes down to do you want the user
> to have to figure all that out by hand and explicitly put them in the
> plan, or do you want the deployer to figure it out as it is building
> the configuration.

+1 As a user I frankly don't care what a module depends on, I just want
want it installed.  This is why wars contain a lib directory (which has
it's own sucky problems).

> I don't want to do it by hand so would opt to have the deployer do it.
> Having a tool that told me what I needed put in the repo would be
> useful though.

Maybe our deployment tool could have an info operation that dumps
"interesting" stuff about a module.  Of course determining what is
interesting maybe very difficult, and most likely requires asking the
deployer gbeans on the server :)

View raw message