geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: online and offline deployment
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:37:35 GMT
Jeremy,
	What is your feeling on the "package --install" command?  Because
right now, that runs in offline mode, and assumes that it should install
into a file-based local configuration store.  Which means it's subject to
all the problems you've raised if the server is not using a file-based
local configuration store, etc.

	Of course we use this during server construction.  But it might be
best to start the server immediately after bootstrapping the deployer, and
do all the rest of the server construction tasks as online deployments.
(That would also have the pleasant side effect of making it all run
faster, because you wouldn't be starting and stopping a kernel for every
deployment.)  Then the bootstrapping would be the only operation that
actually installed in offline mode, and we could remove the unsafe
"--install" option from the package command -- or actually make the
package command perform the installation in online mode, if we have a
deployment module that knows how to deploy a "CAR" file.  Or better yet,
have the package command run in reverse order -- first distribute the
configuration into the running server, and then dump a CAR file from the
configuration in the config store.

	I think someone raised some of these possibilities before, but I
don't remember who.

Aaron