geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: [Apache Geronimo Wiki] Updated: WishList/M3
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:27:18 GMT
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 scm@geronimo.apache.org wrote:
>  Would be nice to have "dump EAR here, it gets (re)deployed" directory
>
> +[jboynes] I really, really don't like this option. With the right
> plugins to Ant/Maven (which I think +most projects would be using) it
> should not +be any harder to distribute an application to the server
> than it is to copy it into a directory. +By using a command the
> developers/admin can see if the operation worked without scanning the
> server +logs for errors. It also avoids all the problems with the
> scanner hitting partially copied files, +race conditions between seeing
> the module and the plan, being able to revert if it failed, and so
> forth. +

	For what it's worth, I think you're arguing for correctness over
convenience.  While that's nice in admin tools, I'm not sure it's really a
win for development tools, and certainly not for initially attempting to
attract new developers.

	For what it's worth, I can't recall having a problem with Tomcat,
JBoss or WebLogic where it processed a partially copied file or had a race
condition or was unable to revert or it was unclear to me whether the
application was successfully deployed (either you get big stack traces or
you don't).  So I think we can solve those problems.

	More importantly, the first time any J2EE developer sits down
with a new server, I bet they try to deploy some app they have sitting
around, and I bet they try to do it by dumping it in the deploy directory.
Now we can teach them to use a tool instead, but I think in rejecting a
hot deploy directory you're introducing a hurdle to adoption (must consult
doucmentation and learn tool syntax and set up tool execution environment)
because you don't like the standard process.

	But, all that said, I hope to make the deployment tool convenient
enough that it's not a very big hurdle.

Aaron