geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Jetty Security Realms
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:09:38 GMT
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, David Jencks wrote:
> This is somewhat beyond my knowledge, but...
>
> 1. If its easier, we could deploy an additional gbean for the realm
> along with the JettyWebAppContext: the configuration would be generated
> by the JettyModuleBuilder.

	Basically I'm thinking that you should deploy one GBean to make
the realm exist.  Then any other stuff should be handled by the
JettyModuleBuilder.

> 2. We're going to need to do something so we are deploying gbeans for
> servlets, and do this fairly soon.  This is going to involve fairly
> extensive changes to how we deploy web apps.  What is your guess on the
> impact of this on your proposal?

	I don't think this will impact my proposal.  I'm suggesting that
we add some functionality to override the defaults in the
JettyWebAppContext.  You're suggesting that we add some functionality to
override the default servlet construction for servlets in the
JettyWebAppContext.  I think these proposals are similar.

	The only possible problem I see is that I will still be depending
on the default Jetty authentication process (just changing how it picks
the realm to authenticate against).  If the servlet changes are so
extensive that they alter how servlet invocations perform authentication,
then we'd have to make sure the "new authentication process" identifies
the correct realm to use.  But at that point we'd be talking about
Geronimo code to Geronimo code, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Aaron