geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: SVN Branches
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:09:33 GMT
On Nov 4, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> It is covered in the subversion book http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>>
>> Can understand why you would want to branch for security, but I think
>> you should keep working on your deployment stuff in the main trunk.
>
> If it's easy to fold back in, why not do in a branch?  There's clearly
> a difference of opinion here, one in which both sides feel pretty
> strongly.  Out of respect and courtesy, why not do in a branch if the
> downside costs of having to bring it back to trunk are so low?

If there are differences they should be aired on this list.  I see this
as a back channel to not have Aaron implement a feature everyone liked
except Jeremy.

> It's rather traditional in some other projects I've been in to
> demonstrate contrary ideas in a way that guarantees good exposure to
> the community, with little disruption.

For a stable project that is not under active development, I
understand, but everything in geronimo is changing quickly.  Should I
have implemented disabled gbeans in another branch?  Should Alan
implement CORBA in a branch?  Since this is the first time for someone
to branch, I suspicious of the motivations.

-dain