geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bordet, Simone" <simone.bor...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Remove reliance on JMX and javax.management.ObjectName
Date Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:43:05 GMT
Hi,

> One of the goals of the kernel has been to support JMX but
> also to allow
> implementations that do not rely on it. However, one area of coupling
> that is prevalent is the use of javax.management.ObjectName
> to identify GBean instances.
>
> I would like to propose we add an interface to the kernel module that
> represents a GBean's identity (e.g. o.a.g.k.GBeanName) that serves a
> similar function but which can be implemented based on
> j.m.ObjectName or alternatives.

I'm playing the role of the devil's lawyer here, and sure I lack deep knowledge about the
kernel, but I was wondering: if GBeanName walks like an ObjectName, quacks like an ObjectName
and looks like an ObjectName, then why not use ObjectName ?

Consider also that it is a standard JDK class in J2SE 5.

I mean: the kernel already depends on JDK classes like Map, HashMap, etc. Why ObjectName is
different ?

Thanks,

Simon