geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: ANN: Geronimo 1.0-M3 Release
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:43:03 GMT

On Nov 10, 2004, at 10:21 PM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Congratulations to the new Milestone !!! :-)
>
> However, I'd like to know if it would be possible to run Geronimo in
> combination with a standalone Tomcat server?

I think you mean that you want to run tomcat in a separate vm and
access ejbs running in geronimo.  This should be possible, although you
won't be able to use a java:comp/env context (unless tomcat has some
kind of support for it, that I don't know about).  You would need to
specify externally accessible jndi names in the openejb-jar deployment
plan and supply the correct jndi properties to access the openejb
remote naming context.

Here are some hints from the openejb itests:

jndi name element:

        <session>
             <ejb-name>BasicStatelessBean</ejb-name>

<jndi-name>client/tests/stateless/BasicStatelessHome</jndi-name>

jndi properties:

     public void init(Properties props) {
         properties = props;

         props.put("test.server.class",
"org.openejb.test.RemoteTestServer");
         props.put("java.naming.factory.initial",
"org.openejb.client.RemoteInitialContextFactory");
         props.put("java.naming.provider.url", "127.0.0.1:4201");
         props.put("java.naming.security.principal", "testuser");
         props.put("java.naming.security.credentials", "testpassword");
     }

I don't know enough about tomcat to guess how you would best supply
these properties so you get the initial context you want, but supplying
them in the constructor should work if nothing else does.

thanks
david jencks