geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Geronimo Wiki] Updated: WishList/M3
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 22:00:09 GMT
On Nov 4, 2004, at 12:52 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> 	For what it's worth, I can't recall having a problem with Tomcat,
>> JBoss or WebLogic where it processed a partially copied file or had a
>> race
>> condition or was unable to revert or it was unclear to me whether the
>> application was successfully deployed (either you get big stack
>> traces or
>> you don't).  So I think we can solve those problems.
>
> I have seen that many times. The obvious use case is when you are
> doing testing where you end up doing something like:
>
>   copy file to directory
>   run tests
>
> and the app has not finished deploying yet. So then you add a couple
> of "sleep for a bit" but when you are running a couple hundred tests
> that gets to be boring.

So... people do all sorts of stupid stuff, and we can't stop them.  I
don't think we should restrict a feature just because some people use
is incorrectly.

>> 	More importantly, the first time any J2EE developer sits down
>> with a new server, I bet they try to deploy some app they have sitting
>> around, and I bet they try to do it by dumping it in the deploy
>> directory.  Now we can teach them to use a tool instead, but I think
>> in rejecting a
>> hot deploy directory you're introducing a hurdle to adoption (must
>> consult
>> doucmentation and learn tool syntax and set up tool execution
>> environment)
>> because you don't like the standard process.
>
> <cheap-shot>"standard process" - wouldn't that be JSR-88?</cheap-shot>
>
> There's nothing to stop anyone doing this - just write a GBean that
> acts as a directory scanner and invokes the online deployer. If they
> wanted to be fancy, they could have ones that scanned websites using
> WebDAV or offered some basic security.

You lost me... you seem to be arguing against adding this feature, but
then you say that "there's nothing to stop anyone doing this".  So it
is possible, but you don't want Geronimo to provide this?

-dain