geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Arentz <>
Subject Hosting Spring Applications
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:22:51 GMT
Before I start asking my stupid newbie questions it is probably a good
idea to explain what I am trying to achieve here :-)

My goal is to create a Geronimo configuration to deploy
Hibernate/Spring/Web applications in. Despite that Geronimo is
'marketed' as a J2EE container, I see it more like a generic
application server that can be used to host any kind of application in.

This will be an open source effort. Either as part of one of the two
projects are simply published through sourceforge.

Starting simple seemed like a good idea, so what I am trying to setup
now is a Spring hosting platform that can deploy an EAR archive variant
that contains SPR and WAR archives. I'll get back about the SPR
archives later.

My ideal setup would be this; you start Geronimo with a  Spring
Container configuration/personality. You can then deploy applications
to it that have a structure like this:

The SPR would contain all the spring beans, business logic and
persistence support (like hibernate mappings + domain classes). The WAR
would simply be a 'client' of the logic deployed through the SPR, but
also include its own spring configuration.

When this EAR is deployed, the container first processes the SPR; a new
bean factory is created and all the meta-inf/spring/*.xml files are
processed. Then the WAR is deployed, which also has a meta-inf/spring
directory. All its spring bean configurations are then also deployed in
the context of the global bean factory for thie EAR deployment.

So now my questions :-)

1) What do people think of this idea? :)

2) Am I right that a '*-plan.xml' is only used to give a Geronimo
instance a 'personality' ? It is a bit confusing because the plans are
now used as both personality configuration and deployment of (GBean)
services. Or is the latter so because there is no simple way yet to
deploy .sar like packages (as part of an EAR)?

3) Any hints on adding a new archive type (SPR) to Geronimo? What would
be a good starting point to look at? Is the M3 API stable enough to
start writing these kind of things?

View raw message