geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Purpose of Derby & Default DB
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:20:50 GMT
The DefaultDB is older and predates Derby's arrival at the ASF. Services
that needed a database backend were using it.

When Derby arrived and was integrated I added it as System DB so we
could see how it would work out without disrupting any of the existing
services.

In our environment Derby has several advantages over Axion (such as XA)
  so I think it makes a better choice for user apps. Given that and that
we probably only want one embedded DB I think it makes sense to
transition gradually to Derby.

--
Jeremy