geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Question about deployer classloaders/plan hierarchy.
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:16:42 GMT
On 12/11/2004 8:38 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> <snip>
> However, I think the original goal was to have the builder modules not
> actually directly use classes from the runtime modules, but allow such
> classes to be loaded from the configuration's classloader only.  At
> the moment we cannot achieve this goal because there are several
> classes that are used both in deployment and runtime.  In particular,
> there is a POJO model in security and a few classes in connector.  I
> believe that if we decided to approach the goal of completely
> independent classloader hierarchies we would need another set of
> modules for shared classes, or we would have to eliminate these shared
> classes.

I assume so. However, even if a new set of modules are created for those
shared classes, it will still be possible to "deploy" successfully a
module and not be able to "run" it if the configuration associated to
j2ee-server-plan is not one of the ancestor of the module being deployed.

I do not know if this is possible; yet, it seems that if we were able to
update dynamically the parent configuration corresponding to
j2ee-server-deployer-plan and set it to the parent configuration of the
module being deployed, then we will not have this problem: if you can
"deploy", then you are sure that you can "run" the module.

In such a case, one does not need to have this new set of modules for
the classes shared by the various builders and their associated runtime
classes.

Thanks,
Gianny