geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: M3 does not start
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:17:46 GMT
Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> Aaron Mulder schrieb:
>
>> Peter,
>>     That's not so easy -- neither changing the default Jetty port nor
>> disabling Jetty.  You need to either build a new server configuration for
>> yourself (replace the org/apache/geronimo/Server configuration) or edit
>> the details of that configuration via JMX changes at runtime.  We don't
>> give you the source you need to do the first with the milestone (though
>> you can get it from the SVN repository), and as far as I know we don't
>> give you a good tool to make runtime JMX changes.
>

> I've noticed two serialized objects in config-store/4 - do they also
> contain the jetty config? Or is the information included in
> org.mortbay.jetty-5.1-SNAPSHOT.jar?

The files inside the config store are not intended for general
modification - one reason we use serialization for persisting the data.

> In the first case, it should be easy to implement a tool (implied there
> is enough time ;-) ). In the second, there will be needed a patch to
> access configuration data either from serialized or xml data (last one
> preferred).

There is an XML definition - the deployment plan used to build the
default server configuration.

> BTW: I don't believe JMX would be a good idea to (initially) change port
> data, as this would make it impossible to install Geronimo into a "life"
> environment - You cannot force the admin to shutdown a probably large
> web site to install geronimo.

We're tackling this two ways.

Firstly, we will be providing a console tool that lets someone do this
kind of configuration easily. The intention is to make it easier to set
up the server than wading through a collection of XML files. However,
this does mean we have to be able to boot the server the first time :-)

Secondly, we allow users to redefine the server configuration completely
by re-deploying the default configurations which are stored as XML files.

What this means for the guy who wants to install Geronimo in a live
environment is that they can stage the server configuration elsewhere
and then copy their customized server to the production environment.
They can stage it either by booting it and using the console or by
editing the XML plan and redeploying.

Hopefully this solves both problems - ease of use for new user and full
control of the configuration for an experienced admin.

--
Jeremy

PS If I had an admin running a large web site I would hope they didn't
    experiment with new software on a production system ;-)