geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: How forgiving should we be about jndi component context names?
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:41:38 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> However I believe it is popular to misspell this
>
> java:/comp/env
>
> Do we want to support this naming abuse?

It would be convenient, but might cause applications to fail when ported
to other app servers.  If the spec is clear on the correct usage, then I
think it's better to just detect the problem and display a very specific
warning/tip in the log so that the developer can easily find and fix the
problem at development time.  (As opposed to having to hunt down a
generic lookup failure, or figure out why things suddenly broke months
later when moved to a different app server.)

Cheers
Erin