geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: online and offline deployment
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:09:51 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	Can you state your current opinion and reasoning?  I think that's
> more valuable than a vote, at this stage.  I know I'd like to have a
> broader discussion to try to agree on the best solution, or at least the
> best specific options to propose for a vote.  For example, I think we've
> kind of gone past the point where "1 tool" or "2 tools" is a useful vote
> -- if two, it's a question of which two and what our goals should be for
> each.  If one, again, what do we attempt to support in that one?

I thought that the dilemma for the vote was regarding the simplication
of the deployment tool for code sake rather than for the user sake (i.e.
one tool was difficult to code whereas two tools was difficult for the
user). I see now that there is a need for two tools, each of which
serves a very specific purpose. I now think that much of the dilemma
surrounds the term 'deploy'.

I cast my vote in favor of a single tool simply from a user's point of
view, all the while thinking that the strategy pattern would easily sort
out the coding dilemma.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print