geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Jetty Security Realms
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:22:45 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> Well, not a lot, since I haven't figured out how servlets are deployed
> in jetty.  What I imagine is parsing web.xml, constructing a gbean for
> each servlet, and registering it somehow with the webapp gbean or the
> jetty container.  Unfortunately on my last venture into jetty code I
> didn't see how to do this right off.

David,

the code for deploying servlets has been in a state of flux - but is
now pretty much stable in the 5.1.SNAPSHOT being used by geronimo.

The mechanism for configuring a webapplication is now based on a
pluggable array of WebApplicationContext.Configuration  classes.

For example the standard deployment of Jetty now uses
<Set name="WebApplicationConfigurationClassNames">
    <Array type="java.lang.String">
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.XMLConfiguration</Item>
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.JettyWebConfiguration</Item>
      <!--
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.jsr77.Configuration</Item>
      -->
    </Array>
</Set>

The XMLConfiguration class parses web.xml and calls the WebApplicationContext
API to configure servlets.

JettyWebConfiguration looks for a jetty-web.xml file and executes it.

The jsr77.Configuration  iterates over all configured servlets and
creates JSR77 stats mbeans for them.

I think geronimo can implement its own set of WebApplicationContext.Configuration.
XMLConfiguration can be replaced by something that works directly from a deployment
plan.

We probably don't need/want JettyWebConfiguration

If an gbean is needed per servlet, it can be modelled on the jsr77 configuration

cheers