geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Geronimo Wiki] Updated: WishList/M3
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:52:54 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	For what it's worth, I can't recall having a problem with Tomcat,
> JBoss or WebLogic where it processed a partially copied file or had a race
> condition or was unable to revert or it was unclear to me whether the
> application was successfully deployed (either you get big stack traces or
> you don't).  So I think we can solve those problems.

I have seen that many times. The obvious use case is when you are doing
testing where you end up doing something like:

   copy file to directory
   run tests

and the app has not finished deploying yet. So then you add a couple of
"sleep for a bit" but when you are running a couple hundred tests that
gets to be boring.

> 	More importantly, the first time any J2EE developer sits down
> with a new server, I bet they try to deploy some app they have sitting
> around, and I bet they try to do it by dumping it in the deploy directory.
> Now we can teach them to use a tool instead, but I think in rejecting a
> hot deploy directory you're introducing a hurdle to adoption (must consult
> doucmentation and learn tool syntax and set up tool execution environment)
> because you don't like the standard process.

<cheap-shot>"standard process" - wouldn't that be JSR-88?</cheap-shot>

There's nothing to stop anyone doing this - just write a GBean that acts
as a directory scanner and invokes the online deployer. If they wanted
to be fancy, they could have ones that scanned websites using WebDAV or
offered some basic security.

I think having good tools is useful and I appreciate the work you are
doing on the deployer. I'm not trying to be difficult or over "correct",
just trying to ensure that we don't repeat the mistakes of the past, at
least without thinking about them. Reminds me of the post on Slashdot
yesterday about problems with Virtual Worlds.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20041103/bartle_pfv.htm

--
Jeremy